There are many good causes these days, but recently one caught our attention as it was helping save so many lives, and delivering this benefit to the people who needed it most.
Hope Floats is a very unique Foundation that partners with high-quality swim schools, businesses, and foundations to provide scholarships for swimming lessons. Lessons have been proven to reduce the risk of drowning by over 88%. Here are some starting facts:
- Drowning is the leading cause of Accidental Death in the US for Ages 4 & Under (CDC).
- 372,000 people worldwide lose their lives to drowning every year.
- Drowning is the 2nd leading cause of Accidental Death in the US for Ages 4 & Up (CDC).
- Globally, the highest drowning rates are among children 1-4 years, followed by children 5-9 years (World Health Organization (WHO).
- Lower socioeconomic status is associated with higher risk of drowning (WHO).
- African American children in the US drown at rates 5.5 times higher than whites (CDC).
Hope Floats works. They raise money through the tireless efforts of many. Then they provide scholarships and tuition assistance to those who need it the most, and channel the money and the lessons through local swim schools that have a great track record for teaching swimming.
Cindy and Dave Tonnesen, the Hope Floats co-founders along with Christy Bostic, Executive Director, lead a great team of thousands of volunteers in this awesome effort.
They have really been busy, and are now up to 130 participating locations in 25 states…. so there is a swim school close to just about everywhere. They have provided well over 4,000 lessons to date, with many happening every day.
Learn more about Hope Floats, and see how much fun it can be to support a worthwhile effort and help save a life. CES is proud to support Hope Floats, and many of our swim school owners have volunteered their time, money, and expertise.
Contact Christy Bostic for more information on how easy it can be to help save a life.